I’ve decided to add some recipes to my mom blog – for the mom whose house from 4 pm until the kiddos are in bed resembles a scene from Jumanji. These are all recipes that the hands-on prep work can be done in less than 20 minutes earlier in the day during a nap or that non-napping kids could help with.
So for my first recipe, Shrimp Tacos!
- Flour soft-shell tortillas
- Bag of Asian slaw salad from the produce section. I buy Taylor Farms but any brand would do. If you don’t have these bagged salads at your local supermarket – it’s basically just cabbage, carrot, cilantro, wonton strips and an Asian sesame dressing.
- 20-30 frozen raw shrimp. Best if peeled and deveined. I buy deveined and partially peeled.
- 3 tbsp vegetable/olive/canola oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tsp curry powder
- pinch allspice
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp thai chili garlic paste (optional)
- Thaw shrimp in cold water. Once thawed, peel the shrimp and discard shells. Depending on your child’s age and ability – peeling shrimp might be a fun task they can help you with.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, ketchup, garlic, soy sauce, curry powder, allspice, salt and pepper, and thai chili garlic hot sauce (if using). Add peeled shrimp. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator until you are 10 minutes away from wanting to eat.
- 10 minutes before suppertime, put flour tortillas on table, dump bagged Asian salad ingredients into salad bowl and toss (a good task for a child). Heat frying pan.
- Pour shrimp and marinade into frying pan and heat shrimp until opaque and pink, 5-10 minutes. Put in serving dish.
- Assemble tacos with shrimp and salad and enjoy!